Sign up to volunteer through your participant profile in the registration software.
Brew Slam is a large competition with a lot of moving parts that requires a large team of volunteers to manage. Volunteering is a fantastic way to get to know other beer enthusiasts, get involved in GTA Brews, learn about the judging process, and learn about beer styles you may not be completely familiar with. There are no qualifications required to help out, so please consider volunteering.
There are several ways to volunteer, and each role plays a key part in making the competition a success. Please check out the descriptions below, then sign up through the registration software.
Before the Competition
Before the judging can occur, we need a small army of volunteers to come out and help us unpack boxes, pair up matching bottles, re-label the bottles with stickers, and sort the bottles into the appropriate medal group.
This may not sound like a ton of fun at first, but we have a great time chatting and eating pizza while it all goes on. If you are only available to help for part of the bottle sorting session, please still come, we can always use more helpers. If you plan on judging, we will assign you to a part of the process after the bottles have been re-labelled.
In the volunteer perk hierarchy; Bottle Sorting for 2+ hours counts as “1 session”, 4+ hours counts as “2 sessions”.
Click here to sign up for bottle sorting. Select the “Bottle Sorting (no judging)” session.
During the Competition
Successfully judging our large competition requires both fantastic stewards, and passionate judges. We have written brief descriptions of these roles in their sections below.
Brew Slam is our flagship competition, and a robust judging process is important. We have compiled a set of judging instructions based on past experience. Please review it prior to the competition.
Passionate BJCP judges are the center of every homebrew competition, and are the ones filling out the scoresheets, sharing their feedback with the entrants, and ultimately deciding the winners. At minimum, we require all judges to have at least passed the BJCP Online Entrance Exam. New judges will be paired with experienced judges to encourage mentorship.
Stewards are the lifeblood of every judging day and are the reason that things moving. They support the judges and making sure they have everything they need to do their job. This includes: stocking the table (glasses, scoresheets, etc..), managing the entries, and keeping the paperwork up to date.
This is a fantastic learning opportunity because stewards have a front row seat to listen to the judges discuss entries and to learn from their experience. When time allows, stewards are encouraged to taste along with the judges as a practical palate training exercise. After volunteering, many stewards are inspired to go on and become judges themselves.
Saturday Activities for Volunteers
- Lunch’n’Learn presentation by Gordon Strong (between Saturday 1 & 2)
- Topics: BJCP Updates, and Tips for Improving your Beer Evaluation Skills
- Post-Judging Social & Book Signing @ Amsterdam Barrel House – Facebook Event
- Perfect opportunity to get your book signed by Gordon Strong, or buy one from him!
- Fantastic excuse to check out the newly opened Barrel House Brew Pub by Amsterdam
- Grab some dinner or just a drink!
- We have reserved space for 40+ people @ 5:15 PM, plenty of room for all
Network With Other Volunteers
- Join this group to network with other volunteers.
- If you are looking for folks to group up with after judging sessions to explore the local beer scene, this is the place to ask.
- We’ll use this Facebook group to keep volunteers in the loop about future Brew Slams
Volunteer Perk Hierarchy
To show our appreciation for our volunteers, the Brew Slam Committee has put together a series of incremental rewards to thank volunteers for donating their time to help make the competition a success. This is in addition to BJCP points which are awarded according to the BJCP Award Schedule.
Judge or Steward for 1 session:
– $20 gift card to our Title Sponsor, Toronto Brewing
– Receive our Basic Sponsored Swag Pack
– Get access to FREE empty bottles
– Get FREE leftover beer from each session
Judge or Steward for 2 sessions:
– FREE Brew Slam branded barrel stave opener
Judge or Steward for 4 sessions:
– FREE ticket to the Brew Slam Awards Party
– FREE GTA Brews teku glass
Judge or Steward for all 7 sessions:
– We’ll think of something awesome for you!
The “Basic Sponsored Swag Pack” will be assembled with items from our sponsors. Last year it contained beer and supplier samples.