So you’ve heard the rumblings, the mumblings and grumblings. Or maybe you haven’t. GTA Brews is introducing a NEW* style of competition. One so rad, kewl, fetch (to hell with Regina George), neato, etc, that you will have no choice but to sign up in droves**. What am I talking about? Last Brewer Standing, of course! (In case you didn’t read the title) Continue reading GTA Brews presents Last Brewer Standing
Click Here to go to the main competition page.
August 29th – Toronto, ON
GTA Brews is excited to announce our third annual, nation-wide, homebrew competition for beer, mead, and cider; Brew Slam 2017 (#BrewSlam)! This is an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition, and also part of the Canadian Brewer of the Year circuit. Judging will be performed by BJCP ranked judges and pro brewers, using the BJCP 2015 Guidelines.
Entry Deadline: Nov 4th, 2017
Judging: Nov 10th – 12th @ Amsterdam Brewery
Awards Ceremony: Nov 18th @ Henderson Brewing Company
Styles Accepted: All BJCP Beer/Mead/Cider styles
Entry limits: 1 entry per classic style subcategory (1-26, C1, M1). 2 entries per specialty category (21B, 27-34, C2, M2-M4), must be different beers. Max 15 entries per person.
Account registration is open now! Visit the Brew Slam page for details on rules, prizes, and more!
About Brew Slam 2017
This will be our 3rd year running this competition, and we’re excited to make it even better. Last year we had; 689 entries (117% increase over 2015), avg flight of only 8.67 entries/pair, 52 judges, 22 stewards, entries from 9/10 Canadian provinces, and over $7,000 in prizes. This year, we expect to become the largest homebrew competition in Canada.
About GTA Brews
We are Toronto’s local, as well as Canada’s largest, homebrew club. Since establishing in 2013, we have worked to strengthen and grow the homebrewing community through education, events, competitions, and camaraderie. We bring Toronto area homebrewers together in person, and online, to create a friendly community where we share knowledge, talk shop, and provide feedback on each others homebrews. We welcome members of all experience levels including; potential brewers, new brewers, experienced brewers, and pro brewers.
The ever popular Learn2Brew event will return for 2017 on Sept 17th. Visit the Learn2Brew page for full details.
Online Exam Tips
- The BJCP Entrance Exam (online exam) is based on the BJCP Exam Study Guide, and many of the questions come right out of there
- The styles tested are from the 2015 BJCP Guidelines
- There is a 20 question practice exam available for free at: http://bjcp.coursewebs.
- Write this exam ASAP so you can judge homebrew competitions for practice
- You can buy the 3for2 package that gives you three attempts, do this and just take a shot to see where you need to study
- Here is a presentation from Victor North, that provides a good Intro to the BJCP
- Here is a blog post that goes over the exam and gives some more specific tips: http://barleypopmaker.
info/2014/07/23/5-tips-for- passing-the-bjcp-online- entrance-exam/
- The online exam is PASS/FAIL, so don’t obsess about perfection, just focus on getting through it so you can begin practicing scoresheets
Tasting Exam Prep Tips
- Practice filling out scoresheets for all kinds of beers, especially ones that aren’t world class examples
- I highly recommend that everyone read the BJCP Scoresheet Guide before the exam so you have an idea what the graders are looking for
- My blog post has lots of tips, including a breakdown of an exam that I scored 82 on
- My blog post has lots of links at the bottom, but here are a few favourites:
Tasting Exam Outline
- Exam consists of writing scoresheets for 6 beers, with 15 mins given per beer
- Bring mechanical pencil, erasers, and other writing items you want
- Only basic calculators can be used, no smartphone apps
- This is a closed book exam, referring of the guidelines is not allowed
- The exam only covers categories 1-26, specialty categories are not included
- Be prepared to write neatly and firmly to ensure the graders can read your writing clearly when scanned, also do not write to the edges or on the back of the pages
The GTA Brews Spring 2017 Grain Buy is now open!
Thanks again to Toronto Brewing for hosting, please make sure to give them your love and make some purchases on pick up day! Don’t forget, now they deliver your online order to breweries all over Toronto for FREE!
All questions should be emailed to email@example.com
Sign Up Open: Saturday Apr 29th, 2017
Sign Up Close: Thursday, May 18th, 2017 (11:59 pm)
Payment Deadline: Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 (11:59 pm)
Split Date: Friday, Jun 2nd, 2017
Main Pick Up Date: Saturday Jun 3rd, 2017 (10:30 am – 1:30 pm) Continue reading Grain Buy – Spring 2017
The GTA Brews 2017 Hop Bulk Buy is now open!
Sign Up Open: Tuesday Jan 24th, 2017
Sign Up Close: Thursday Feb 16th, 2017
Payment Deadline: Thursday Feb 23rd, 2017
Split/Pick-Up Date: Saturday March 4th, 2017
Send questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updates will be sent via email you sign up with on the Continue reading 2017 Hop Bulk Buy
Brew Slam 2016 Awards wrapped up just over a week ago, results have been announced, scoresheets were posted, and prizes will be mailed (and emailed) out soon. I think it’s safe to finally start writing this wrap up post after what seems like almost a whole year of prep!
Some notable accomplishments and improvements we made this year:
- All judges Provisonal+ or Pro-Brewers
- Scoresheets returned same day as results Continue reading Brew Slam 2016 – Wrap Up
Learn2Brew 2016 will take place Nov 6th 2016. Visit the event page for full details!
The GTA Brews Fall 2016 Grain Buy is now open!
Thanks again to Toronto Brewing for hosting, please make sure to give them your love and make some purchases on pick up day!
All questions should be emailed to email@example.com
Sign Up Open: Monday Oct 17th, 2016
Sign Up Close: Saturday, Oct 29th, 2016 (11:59 pm)
Payment Deadline: Tuesday, Nov 1st, 2016 (11:59 pm)
Split Date: Friday, Nov 11th, 2016
Main Pick Up Date: Saturday Nov 12th, Continue reading Fall 2016 Grain Buy
What is your occupation (outside homebrewing)?
I’m the VP of Engineering (and co-owner) at Innovere Medical Inc. I basically work with a small team of awesome people developing and manufacturing MRI compatible patient comfort devices and MRI devices for Continue reading Member Profiles: David Green