Date: Monday April 11th, 2022
Time: 7:30 PM – 10:00 PM ET
GTA Brews Members: You must login to see the link and password. If you have logged in and cannot see them, please refresh the page.
This month we are exceptionally excited to have Calum and Lauren join us from Sonnen Hill Brewery talk to us about lagers! Their presentation will focus on brewing lagers and will include a guided tasting of four of their beers, so make sure you check out some ways (see here) you can get their beers before April 11th!
As with any conference call, please mute your microphone if you aren't speaking, this really helps cut down on background noise. During Q&A segments we will make use of the "Raise Hand" feature.
- Style of the Month: 7:30 PM
- Club Announcements: ~8:00 PM
- Presentation: 8:05 PM – Lager Brewing and Tasting with Sonnen Hill
- Social Time: ~9:00 PM -10:00 PM
Presentation: Lager Brewing and Tasting with Sonnen Hill!
Sonnen Hill is a brewery located on a 37-acre family farm in Caledon, Ontario. Currently, Sonnen Hill is focusing on producing a variety of pale ales, lagers, and mixed-fermentation beers such as saison and grisette using local ingredients whenever they can. Our presenters will be Calum Hill and Lauren FitzGerald:
- Calum went to brewing school in Scotland and then proceeded to work at three different breweries in the UK. He returned to Canada to open Sonnen Hill on the family farm Caledon in 2018. Day to day you can find him doing everything from designing labels, to milling, to brewing up some of the best lagers around.
- Lauren is a Certified Cicerone and hospitality professional turned brewery helper, doing a little bit of everything at Sonnen Hill including sales, shipping logistics and managing the taproom. A seasoned taster of both food and beer, Lauren loves to pair the two together.
The meeting will focus on lager brewing (process, techniques, ingredients etc) and will also include a guided tasting of four of Sonnen Hill’s lagers (Low & Slow, Vienna, Munich and Gold). If you are interested in participating in the guided tasting, please see our other post which outlines a few ways you can get their beers.
Style Of The Month:
Emily is returning with April's BJCP Style Of The Month! This month, Emily looks at smoke, wood, and specialty beers (aka the beers that don't fit nowhere else). The broad nature of this style means there are likely many examples at local breweries, so keep your eyes peeled!