On May 25th we emptied the beautiful Golden Sour (from Fill #3) that went in barrel back on April 28th 2018. It is a beautiful, golden sour. With just a hint of oak from the barrel a great tartness and beautiful mouth feel. Very nicely executed beer.
Once the Golden Sour was out, we immediately refilled the barrel with our 4th recipe, a Flanders Red style beer. Realizing there will be some residual bacteria and Brettanomyces yeast that should add an interesting skew to the style. For good measure we also added 8 packs of Wyeast Roeselare Blend (3763), graciously donated by Brew North.
We hope to let this beer age for a year in the barrel at our generous hosts, People’s Pint. Keep your eyes peeled for announcements on the next style going into the barrel and the opportunity to be a part of it!
People's Pint even put their portion of the Golden Sour (#3) on the GTA Brews tap!
Flanders Red Recipe:
For 6 Gallons (22.7 L)
- 5.25 lb (2.38 kg) German Pilsner malt
- 5.25 lb (2.38 kg) Vienna malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) German Munich I malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian aromatic malt (MFB Special Aromatic malt)
- 0.5 lb CaraMunich I
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian Special B malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Wheat malt
- 0.8 oz (23 g) EK Goldings pellet hops, 5% a.a. (60 min.)
- White Labs WLP 001 California ale yeast or US-05
- Target water: Ca 35, Mg 10, Na 68, Cl 100, SO4 30, HCO3 150
Original Gravity: 1.057
Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168°F (76°C) for 10 minutes.
Secondary Ferment with Wyeast Roeselare