Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Hops...
... but were afraid to ask!
That's right ladies and gents, this month's meeting at Muddy York Brewing Co., is all about hops. Some would argue (Mike V.) that it's the most important ingredient in beer. Well, it's at least top 4. Our special guest, Kyle Wynette of the The Tavistock Hop Co., will be there to answer any of your questions.
Monday 12 March at 7:00 PM
Muddy York Brewing Co.
22 Cranfield Road, Toronto, Ontario, M4B 3H1 MAP
Bringing Beer to Share: Got beer you want to share with everyone? Great! There are usually 40+ people at each meeting so you’ll need to bring at least:
- Four 355mL bottles, two 650mL bottles, or a growler
- Recipe notes – people will want to know what you did to make your beer
- If you are looking for help troubleshooting or really want constructive feedback, consider attending the Structured Tasting.
- Of course, feedback isn’t just limited to one meeting component.
Don’t forget to bring your tasting glass!
- People Arrive: 7:00-7:45 PM, in parallel we have:
- Social “Hour”: 7:00-7:45 PM – Hang out, catch up, and share your homebrew. This is usually a good opportunity to grab some food from the host venue.
- Structured Tasting: 7:00-7:45 PM – A group of the most eager homebrewers gathers to get&give feedback to anyone that wants thoughtful feedback on their beer before people’s palates get fatigued
- Signup for Structured Tasting
- Announcements: ~7:50 PM – The club President welcomes everyone to the meeting and makes announcements about upcoming events and activities
- Presentation: 8:00-8:45 PM – Hop Farming in Ontario - Kyle Wynette
- Pro Brewer Q&A: 9:00-9:30 PM – Mark Murphy, Co-Founder of Left Field Brewery
- More Sampling: 9:30-10:00 PM – The home stretch as we finish the homebrews.
- Clean Up: 10:00 PM – All the fun comes at a price. Please stick around for a few minutes and help us straighten up! Your help is greatly appreciated.
Presenter – Kyle Wynette
The Tavistock Hop Company began with an idea to grow something unique, something few others were doing and most importantly something we could be passionate about. That “something” we’re referring to is the resurgence of hops on Ontario farms. What started as a simple crop suggestion from a friend, home brewer and craft beer enthusiast, quickly became an obsession for us. The more we researched the viability of growing hops, the more set we were on planting our own hop yard to service the craft beer industry. Read more...
Pro Brewer – Mark Murphy, Co-Founder of Left Field Brewery
Hailing from Brampton, Ontario, Mark Murphy has been an avid baseball player and fan since his t-ball days. Usually found coaching or playing third base, some of Mark’s favourite beer styles include saisons and IPAs. Mark left his past life as a Chartered Accountant and worked his way through the brewing industry’s farm system. After graduating from Niagara College’s inaugural brewing program and working for Canada’s largest brewery, he opened Left Field Brewery with Mandie in 2013.
Left Field is a prime example of how a contract brewing operation can be successfully transitioned into a Bricks and Mortar (get it?!) operation. He'd like to share his experience with all of us so please come prepared with questions.
Membership Required Event
Due to AGCO requirements regarding serving home-brewed beer under SOP, a paid membership is required to attend this event. If you are not a paid member and want to come and check out what we're all about before committing to join, contact us and we'll gladly put you on our guest list for free.